Frequently asked questions for those seeking a Military Academy nomination. You may also fill out a Military Academy Nominations Form.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 10th Congressional District of Virginia.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
When do I apply for a nomination?
The nomination application period opens May 1st of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to the District Office is October 1st, 2020. *Due to COVID-19, SAT/ACT score submission deadlines are extended until December 6th*
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- *In the event your school will not release your official transcript to the student, Applicants may attach an unofficial transcript to the application and have an official transcript sent to the Congresswoman’s district office
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- Completed VA-10 Academy Nomination Packet
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
What are your office's SAT and ACT Submission Codes?
Our office's SAT Submission Code is 5945, and our ACT Submission Code is 7733. *ALL COMPLETED SCORES MUST BE RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 1ST TO COUNT FOR THE 2020 CYCLE*
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in October or early November.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
- Scout Leaders
A specific recommendation form is not required. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
Because VA-10 is a highly competitive district with a high number of very qualified applicants, you will be limited to consideration for Nomination to ONE service academy only unless you are choosing the USMMA as a second choice. In that case, you will be interviewed and considered for your primary (USNA, USMA, or USAFA) AND the USMMA.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.
May I submit my application and application materials online?
Yes, due to COVID-19, all application materials, including Letters of Recommendation and transcripts, may be submitted digitally. All submissions may be sent to VA10.Academy@mail.house.gov. The deadline for online submissions is the same as in-person or mail, by October 1st, 2020.
Will interviews be held in person?
No, due to COVID-19 restrictions, all academy panel interviews will be conducted virtually, utilizing the Zoom media platform. Candidates will be sent instructions and links after being scheduled by the Academy Coordinator.