At Vigil Outside of NRA, Rep. Wexton Urges Attendees to Honor Victims of Gun Violence With Action
Washington, DC -- Congresswoman Jennifer Wexton (D-VA) attended a vigil for the victims of recent incidents of gun violence outside of the National Rifle Association (NRA) headquarters where she called on attendees to honor the victims of gun violence with action. Yesterday’s vigil was organized by the Northern Virginia chapters of the Brady Campaign and the March For Our Lives.
WATCH: Congresswoman Wexton urges vigil attendees to honor the victims of gun violence with action
Transcript of the Congresswoman’s remarks below:
“First, I want to thank everybody for coming out this evening, and I’m sorry that we need to be here under these circumstances.
"I’m not supposed to be political right now, but it’s hard, because--I don’t know--is it political to say I’m tired of coming to this building and the only thing that’s changed is that the body count has gone up? Is it political to say that kids and adults shouldn’t be gunned down when they’re doing things like shopping for back to school? Is it political to say that you should be able to go out on a Saturday night without having to worry about being shot dead?
"And all of those things just happened this past weekend. And I’ve had enough. I don’t know about you guys, have you guys had enough? We need to make sure that we honor those who have died. We need to make sure that their lives and their deaths were not in vain. But there is so much more that we can do--we can honor them through action. We can honor them by making positive change, and we have a real opportunity to do that. We have a real opportunity to do that here in Virginia, and we have a real opportunity to that nationally.
"And we cannot give up. We cannot relent, we cannot get exhausted by this, we cannot be beaten down by this. Because we are stronger than the gun lobby, and we will prevail. Thank you all so much for coming out this evening, and let’s keep this positive energy going into the future.”
WATCH: Rep. Wexton Discusses Gun Violence and the NRA with Andrea Mitchell
In an interview with Andrea Mitchell, Congresswoman Wexton called on the President to back his words up with action and demand that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell bring up a vote on the House-passed Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019.
- Washington Post: Protestors flock to NRA headquarters to demand stronger gun laws
- ABC News: Hundreds hold vigil at NRA headquarters for shooting victims
- The Wall Street Journal: Gun-Rights Lobby Faces Challenges on and Off the Hill
- The Huffington Post: Students and Gun Control Activists Protest Outside NRA Headquarters After Shootings
- Roll Call: Rep. Wexton joins protest outside of NRA headquarters in Virginia
- WTOP: Mass shootings prompt vigil outside NRA headquarters in Fairfax
- WUSA 9: ‘Enough is enough!’ | High school students and local anti-gun violence organizations protest at NRA headquarters
- Fox 5: Gun control advocates demand action outside of NRA headquarters after mass shootings in Texas, Ohio
- WJLA: After recent shootings, protestors flock to NRA headquarters to demand stronger gun laws